Tuesday 28 June 2016

The Bishop's Palace - Wells


Eve's nursery held a charity bake sale on Friday. I knew about it in advance and decided to make fairy cakes. When I was pondering upon my recipe I had thoughts in my head of nice fluffy cakes, topped with a thick pink icing and tiny white chocolate stars...

The reality was late evening drunken baking on Thursday night after work (it's the new Friday, right?!), with fairly disastrous results. I can safely say they were the worst cakes I've ever made. They were supposed to take 20 minutes to bake but our oven is dodgy and took almost an hour. By which point I had a very hungry husband, who had not yet had his dinner, and very disappointing cakes. When they had cooled I thought some icing would be their saving grace. But the lovely pink icing that I had imagined turned out a dark red, as I was tired and tipsy and picked up the wrong bottle of food colouring by mistake, oops.

Need to up my fairy cake making skills - hoping to make something like this in the future ;-)

I asked Sam if we could stop at the shop on the way to nursery in the morning to buy some cakes, but after all the effort he told me to not be silly and that I had to take them. Doh. When we arrived at nursery I was even more embarrassed when I saw beautifully presented fairy cakes in a box, that another mum had made. But the main thing, which I knew would be lovely, was seeing Eve proudly walking in holding her box of cakes. She was completely delighted when she put the cakes on the table, along with her friend Eli, who was doing the same.

When I collected Eve from nursery on Friday evening I took her to the table to see which cake she might like to choose. I pointed out all the different cakes, cookies and flapjacks to her. She took a moment and then pointed at the cakes I had made and asked to have one of them. This cheered me up no end. We both ate one on the way home, and they didn't taste as bad as I thought they might. But this is a big mummy reminder that I need to start practicing fairy cakes - and get the oven fixed!

Wells Market

We've had on and off heavy downpours for the past couple of weeks, which turned Glastonbury Festival into a mud bath, with lots of traffic at the start of the festivities last Wednesday. I suddenly realised that the trip I had scheduled to the Bishop's Palace in Wells with Grandad Col and Jeggs was during Glastonbury weekend. Sam and I were worried about traffic, but we were lucky and had quiet roads to Wells bright and early on Saturday morning.

 Wells Market

Grandad Col had told us that if there was a lot of rain the palace closes due to the wells flooding. We took our chances, hoped for the best, and were glad to see that the palace was open when we were the first to arrive at 10am.

Walking towards the palace gateway

We were incredibly lucky with the weather. Strong sunshine broke through patchy clouds as we walked through the beautiful gardens. The palace is surrounded by a moat, with streams and wells inside the palace walls.



Cool stained glass sculpture

The ruined Great Hall and Chapel

We walked around the ramparts and then went down to the traditional flower garden. Building of this wonderful palace started in 1210. Following the dissolution of the monasteries in 1548, Bishop Barlow sold the lead from the roof of the Great Hall. This resulted in it falling into a ruined state.

Grandad Col and Jegg's dog, Saffy, looking down at the moat below.


Lovely succulents

Grandad Col gave us a good tour of the palace, and we felt very lucky as we walked around it. Eve was so happy. It felt good to be able to take her to experience something new and exciting.

Daddy and Eve looking at an Ent

Grandad Col

Eve

 Checking out some modern art

Saffy, Jeggs and Grandad Col

From the modern art seating we walked across a little bridge into a section of the garden which held the wells; a very atmospheric place.



 The wells


The last part of the palace grounds were the huge vegetable allotment gardens, which Eve and I thoroughly enjoyed. She particularly liked the scarecrows.

I fully recommend a trip to the Bishops Palace in Wells - it's a great place to take kids, lots of fresh air, history and medieval architecture - what more could you want.

Eve loved running around the allotment garden

Dragon sculpture construction the other side of this fence

As we approached midday the sky became dark with rain clouds. We had a drink in the cafe (which was very nice), and I smuggled Eve some ham sandwiches for lunch that I had made. Grandad Col, Jeggs and Saffy set off for home. Daddy, Eve and I slowly made our way from the palace, through the market square, had a quick look at a miniature painting exhibition and back to the car. Sam and I ate the rest of our redundant picnic in the car on the way home to Bristol, whilst it poured with rain outside, and Eve slept in her car seat. 
It poured with rain all afternoon in Briz, so Eve and I spent our time wisely; working on jigsaw puzzles together at home. We made a quick trip to Craftisan at the end of our road before dinner time. Dad and I had much-needed coffee's and we all enjoyed sticking and painting weird and wonderful art works.

I love Craftisan, you can get creative whilst you relax in a cosy place, plus you don't have to tidy up at the end :-)












No comments:

Post a Comment